2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Department of Physics and Engineering Science
The Department of Physics and Engineering Science is a group of faculty and staff seeking to promote an atmosphere of scholarly endeavor that emphasizes the application of the scientific method in the generation of knowledge across its major and non-major curriculum in a liberal arts context. The faculty is committed to developing strong student competencies in physical science and its applications in a technology-rich, interactive, student-centered learning environment and to preparing students to successfully compete for employment or to succeed in graduate school.
The faculty of the department actively follows the teacher/scholar model through:
- High quality teaching using current pedagogic techniques.
- The use of scholarship to seek truth and produce greater understanding, providing meaningful undergraduate research experiences using appropriate state-of-the-art technologies.
- Proactive mentoring and advising of students and faculty in a caring and nurturing manner.
- Educational, professional, and other outreach to the local community.
- Active participation and collaboration with regional and national scientific communities.
The department serves students seeking a degree in the physical sciences, engineering and related technical degrees, those who are interested in the application of physical sciences in other disciplines, other science majors, and those seeking to meet core curriculum requirements.
We strive to be a focal point for disciplinary scholarship and expertise within the college, and to collaborate with our colleagues in the college to actively contribute to the advancement of science. The faculty supports the goals of the University’s Core Curriculum within a framework of ethical principles in order to prepare all students to be active and scientifically literate citizens in a modern society.